Friday 24 May 2013

Evaulation

Finalising the project of iBook and website. I am content with my final outcome of my ibook and how the project has unfolded. At first I was excited for getting earthquakes as my topic but as the idea developments went a long I found it was harder than what other topics would be for making a 'visually exciting' design as the brief states. This is because there isn't a consistent theme of strong photographic images which you can base a design around. Especially for my chosen focus which was what causes earthquakes, how its recorded and the outcome of them. There not visually exciting focus' but I chose the focus because I think it is interesting to learn myself and had a good visualisation for making animated diagrams. Of course there is lots of strong photos of damages earthquakes cause, but I couldn't  base a theme round these because there just not consistent in terms of colours and style. So for my outcome page thats where I could have a lot of strong visually exciting elements which I think I did achieve in my iBook with videos and an interactive world map. 

My theme was to have a clean and professional look; I chose this because the target audience was A level students which mean ages 16-18 so they are mature. My focus was very hard to base a photographic theme like most people in the class did for their topics. The brief stated this was for educational purposes so having a clean and professional theme arguably is an easier way to learn than having a more harder to read, inconsistent layouts, vibrant colours etc. My theme suits my chosen focus too, cause it is pretty much the science behind earthquakes so keeping it professional conveys the nice balance of science.

My colour and font choices I am happy with, I think the grainy browns work well for a professional theme, it doesn't look too boring and contrast nicely to the slick professional font choice I had. My wonders of nature font choice I think suits, it exaggerates and makes it stand out a lot. In my website I really like how its behind the faint sunburst, the combination worked well for me. 

Concluding my website, I have found it difficult to learn the html language and build the responsive website. I encountered so many problems, all I need help from George to sort out. This has been the most challenging task of this project by miles, the hardest project out of the whole year in my opinion. I still have a week to finish the website and at the moment all problems have been fixed, I have learnt through the problems how to fix them so my knowledge so far should be okay to get through and finish the website into a reasonably nice looking and responsive website.

Concluding my iBook, I think it is okay but for my chosen focus it was hard to make it fun and visually exciting. So for how professional and scientific my theme was. I chose to make animations which I don't think anyone else did so that was a strong point of my ibook. I would say my iBook is interactively rich but visually not as exciting as others in the class. My interactive Richter Scale was a nice fun interaction in my opinion and i am happy with it as is different to everyone else's. I have a nice selection of videos which makes the iBook more fun. I didn't include widgets like word searches and create the image by sliding tiles because in my opinion they are pointless, for the target audience of A level students and this being educational, you don't learn from doing word searces or creating an image. I wanted to sustain my professional theme as strong as possible. The things I could improve on I think are having different backgrounds of the sunburst instead of having it in the bottom right corner each time. 
 
If I could do this project again, the things I would do differently would be probably choosing a different focus, I think for the brief it would of been more beneficial having a focus which would be photographically better to base themes around so it would make it easier to design for. But none the less I am happy with how the project has unfolded and my final designs. I enjoyed but also got frustrated learning web code, it was good to learn the skills of html. Creating the iBook was easy in my opinion and I liked doing that, but I don't think there is good range of widgets to chose from in my opinion, it would be better with a more variation.

No comments:

Post a Comment