Tuesday 8 January 2013

Branding guidelines

In this project part of the brief is creating branding guidelines. I have never heard of these before and have no knowledge on them what so ever. I will research what they are, why companies use them and what to include in them to help gain an understanding what I can include in mine.

What are branding guidelines?
Branding guidelines are like a set of rules of what to do and not do when designing something for the brand. It is displayed as like a visual booklet displaying information. It summarises what the brand stands for.

Why do companies create branding guidelines? 
They make a set of branding guidelines to strictly set out rules so the company maintains a consistent identity across all marketing channels. So designers can get a good feel of the brand, understand the tone of voice so their work has a higher chance of being more efficient for the brand.

What is included in branding guidelines?

  • The brand summary, short description of the brand and their message as a company. 
  • Logos, the logo has to be clarified what you can and cant do when using the brand logo. such as size variations, kerning between letters, colour, font, character styles etc.
  • Examples of what you can and cant do to demonstrate the rule
  • Spacing around elements. For example at least a 5mm space around the logo at all times.
  • Colours, A palette should always be included giving the hex number and other information n each colour, it should say what the colour is used for.
  • Fonts, defining the typeface is essential. Providing font size, line height, spacing, colours and what font is for what purpose (title & body)
  • Tone of voice, this is what the brands style is summarised in this projects case it going to be my art style, giving a clear summarisation of the brands art style is key to keeping consistency. 
How I am going to aproach my guidelines?
I have looked at some examples of branding guidelines to get a more clear idea what I am going to put in mine. I am going to set my branding guidelines so it has a nice smooth consistent layout and design throughout. Using less text on screen as possible. 

My plan for what content is going on what page for my branding guidelines is going to be:

1. Title, screen saying branding guidelines with my name on
2. A summary saying what my project is about, making a design for the penguin competition which is a book cover and poster.
3. Contents
4. Show the puffin logo, and saying it cant be manipulated, giving examples of what you cant do
5. Show the colour pallet, defining the hex decimals and where the colour is used in my design
6. Font, primary font saying what type face, size, spacing around letters, colours.
7. font, this time for secondary font.
8. My art style, defining it giving examples of my illustrations.

Simple colour scheme, white with black text throughout. Clear and consistent layout.

No comments:

Post a Comment