Tuesday 29 January 2013

Kinetic text research

As the brief states we need to include kinetic text in the trailer, I thought I would do some research on existing videos that include kinetic just to get a feel of how they work, the motion of them, the font, the font size, positioning etc. This will give me ideas of how I will use it in my trailer


First of all I looked at 'Nick the greek', this was the first one I looked at and I already got a good feel and inspiration of what I can take from this to put in my trailer. The text is lad out randomly when spoken; there is no right or wrong where the text is positioned. The text sizes for each word are all different which creates a nice dynamic effect. The colour of the words are different which can be good for emphasis, this idea of using colour to emphasise word is something I would like to use in my trailer. It has given me the thought of using the americas rich famous red and blue to use as the colour to emphasise certain words, this contrast effect will go nicely in my video too as my trailer will be in black and white.

Source: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mnvvVi4HaI

The next video I saw was 'Say what again' the way the video is structured is pretty much the same as the other video in how the words flow across the page in a randomised order. The angles of the words are played around too so they could be vertical, horizontal and even diagonal. In this screen capture there is nice effect where the words are vertical against a giant horizontal words, then the transition tilts. 

Here is a nice example of playing around with positioning again, using the circles in the 'O' as space for other words. An element from this video which is different to the other is font. Even though both videos use very blocky font, this one is serif compared to the sans serif in the other one. I think for my video a serif would be more suitable, purely because my proposed idea for my trailer is basing footage and events from around the 1960's. A serif font would suit this old historic theme because they are more historical looking, a sans serif is more modern font.

source: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kw6uZNz3i1g

Whilst researching I actually found an existing john K kennedy speech kinetic text video. I didn't really think it was that good in my opinion. The theme looks modern, and the choice of colour isn't appealing to me. The orange background looks to warm and hot when the speech is and inspirational speech and very powerful. It just looks boring, I think using americas colours or an older looking colour would be better and more effective. The text doesn't change colour, and there is a lack of dynamism to emphasise key points. From looking at other kinetic videos you can tell what ones are better from how the text is played around more, the colour used etc. 

 source: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwrECXcKeMM
This video is called 'A few good men' again its pretty much the same as the other videos just a different theme. But I also saw that this one includes symbols which work pretty much as text to signify something, which I thinks a nice and good effect in kinetic text. I dont think I would use it in mine though because I don't want symbols to disturb the main focus of my inspirational/emotional video, I want full focus and a serious theme on the emotion I want my video to bring. Adding in a symbol for example an american flag, will add to busyness on screen and distract the main points my videos trying to make.

Overall after researching I find pretty much every kinetic text video is the same, theres no real major differences in each one. But after researching I have got some nice ideas and feeling of how I can structure more text in my video: how I can play around with movement, layout, colour, text sizes etc.


No comments:

Post a Comment