Monday 7 October 2013

Research - Animation

Right now I am not certain at all what visual style of animation/drawing I want to undertake. This research will be very useful for inspiring my choice of style and drawing whilst incorporating the principles of animation.

Roobarb, When Custard Got Too Near The Bone














http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4aVXeDg3U4

This animation of Roobarb, works really and I really like the visual style. It is drawn in a personal and organic look, already I want to go down this route. I want to make my animation look original, in a style whats not copying any other. Digital style for me is too cliche, I think if its your own style then it deserves more appreciation. In this animation the artist has this scribble, imperfect effect. I like how the dog is drawn it inspires me as I am using two polar bears to draw them like how the dog looks, i just like how the colour isn't completely filled in and the animation has this sort of shake and vibrate effect on all the lines drawn which gives it that more realistic and dynamic look which I really like.


  • Shakey effect
  • Hand drawn style - original./organic


Looney Tunes













http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3GE-DrE3eE

Looney tunes is a great inspiration for animation, the reason it was one of the biggest cartoons in the 90's is how brilliant the animation is made. Each character has their own personality and all their actions depend on their personality; how fast they move in motion, how they move around, their facial expression. The portray squash and stretch and anticipation brilliant for example road runner, his legs spin to generate the energy then when he starts running his neck and whole body looks aerodynamic to how fast he is running, looney tunes is just a great example to understand the principles of animation.
The personalities of each character are so brilliant as they relate to their animals lifestyle, bugs bunny for example is a chilled character and daffy duck is a more short tempered character who gets angry easily, ducks in real life can get angry really easily. Their movements portray their personal which i really like.


  • Character personality
  • Funny
  • Portrays principles 


I already know how I want my animation to look like with the key themes I want to go about, my animation is going to reflect character personalities like looney tunes does. With symbolic objects like the sun, clouds, co2 are going to have faces and a personality. I want to portray a same jokey immature theme too.

Wacky Races














Wacky races is similar to looney tunes in the way the characters react and their actions are influenced on their personality. The visual style is really original, the cars and characters look really organic, i love how they are drawn. It looks really unrealistic and imperfect which makes it perfect. Things are drawn which wouldn't make sense in reality; the cars are designed really nicely with each car matching the personalities of the character driving them but some of the cars for example theres a car made of wood with razor blades as wheels what wouldn't work in reality. I like how this metaphoric and imperfect style it is really something to consider myself.


  • metaphoric
  • imperfect makes perfect
  • personalitys
Cramp twins














Cramp twins is a very unusual cartoon, two twins with pretty much opposite personalities live extraordinary lives. There personalities are expressed really well in the cartoon. Wayne the blue twin is the evil, dumb and energetic character where as lucian the other twin is the smart, geeky twin. I actually like how they are drawn. Big heads with little facial features and alien looking features such as their nose. The characters have this black line stoke around them to give it a more 3D and realistic effect which is nice, but it can be quite uncomfortable to look at in my opinion, as other objects don't have it its not consistent.

EDP (Jessica Walsh)













This animation if effective for its style which is built up of simple 2D shapes. The animation shows like a journey through everyday life, each and every element is built up of shapes which I think is a really nice simplistic style. It has really made me want to use the same sort of style, I want to build my whole animation made of shapes just because its different and fits with my proposed theme of fun, playfulness and simple.


Mr bean animated


Mr Bean the animated series is a animation which can inspire my technical style. The use of character personalities is the whole theme in this which is emphasised by the imperfect drawing style. I couldnt find the artist that done the drawings which I would of liked to of saw. The boldness of the strokes in this are very bold, I wouldnt make it that bold in my animation but I do want to use quite a thick black stroke.

No comments:

Post a Comment